Wednesday, November 24, 2004

a few thoughts on thanksgiving ....

If you have not been there yet you MUST go to Hugh Hewitt's website for the greatest words ever written about Thanksgiving by President George Washington in his proclamation. Try as i might i cannot believe that that resolution would ever pass through Congress today ... much to our eternal shame.

Since this will be MY thanksgiving message and post, it is fitting to thank God here for the benefits I so greatly enjoy, job, family, health, happienss, and above all the benefit of being an American. I consider it a true blessing that i am still priveledged to have both my parents still living as well as all of my siblings, first cousins, one grandparent and all my aunts, uncles, neices and nephews except for three (two uncles and one nephew) ... considering the state of todays world that is remarkable.

I am also priveledged to have GREAT friends ... you know who you are ... all four of you.!!!!

It is also fitting here that in todays post i announce a new feature which will be a regular occurance in all my future posts. A thank you each week to the members of one unit of our incredible and brave military forces. I am a veteran of the US Air Force having served for Ten years from 14 Jan 1980 to 16 May 1990. I still consider that to be the GREATEST thing done in my life.

I will admit that this first unit does indeed have a bit of a selfish tone to it as my First thank you is to the current and former members of MY first unit the 552nd Air Control Wing ... i will always treasure my time spent there and know that those current members are proudly, positively and professionally upholding the honors and traditions of those of us who went before them.

My first Navy salute is also a selfish one as it is given to the men and women of the USS McFaul, on which my nephew Jonathan L Hicks is currently serving. He being from an Air Force family he is the only member who chose to jump ship so to speak.

My Thanksgiving inagural salute to the Army goes to the officers and soldiers of the XVIII Airborne Corps, Fort Bragg, NC. For the US Marine Corps i proudly salute those who serve or served with the II MEF Special Operations Training Group. Coast Guard salutes for this initial word of thanks go to those serving on the USCGC Marcus Hanna.

And lastly on again a very personal note a special word of thanks to the members of some now defunct units whom i had the distinct pleasure to serve with, those of the 63d Military Airlift Wing, the 10th Tac Recon Wing, 527th Aggressor Squadron, 1st Tac Recon Squadron. Gentlemen and Ladies -- THANK YOU ... for the good times ... for the hectic times ... and for the sad times and lost comrades .... LEST WE FORGET.

In all things, give thanks .....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home